Union Workers' Compensation Claims in PA

work injury claim

Workers’ Compensation for Union Workers in Pennsylvania

Union workers are the lifeblood of communities across Pennsylvania. Union workers do everything from building our roads and bridges to delivering much-needed packages treating our children when ill.

Union workers sometimes deal with dangerous equipment and life-threatening work conditions.

At Calhoon and Kaminsky P.C., we have proudly fought for decades for union workers who were injured in workplace accidents. Our legal team has recovered more than $221 million for injured workers. As demonstrated by glowing testimonials from past clients, our dedicated and compassionate workers’ compensation attorneys stand up for union workers’ rights.

If you or a loved one were injured in a work-related accident, call Calhoon and Kaminsky P.C., to set up an initial consultation. You’ll learn how we can help you get the workers’ comp benefits you deserve. The consultation is free, and we won’t charge you anything unless we help you recover compensation. Call us or contact us online today.

Workers’ Comp Benefits for Union Workers

Under Pennsylvania law, employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance for their employees. Workers’ compensation covers medical expenses and lost wages after a workplace accident.

Workers’ comp benefits that you might receive as an injured union worker include:

  • Compensation to cover medical expenses from the work-related injury. Those expenses might include doctor’s visits, reconstructive surgeries, medications, therapies, medical devices, and rehabilitation and treatment.
  • Death benefits for surviving dependents if a worker is killed in a workplace accident.
  • Partial disability payments to help make up for lost income if an injury prevents a worker from earning as much money as they did before the accident.
  • Total disability benefits if the injuries make the worker unable to return to the job.
  • Permanent injury compensation for hearing loss, any body part that was severed or amputated, or disfigurement.

The level and length of your workers’ comp benefits will depend on the severity of your injuries and any impact on your ability to work. Under workers’ compensation, injured workers are usually entitled to benefits, even for minor injuries. Union workers have a right to a safe work environment. In most cases, it’s against the law for employers to fire or retaliate against employees that file a workers’ compensation claim.

What Union Workers Need to Know: Tips for Protecting Your Rights

If you are suffering from a work-related injury, these steps can help you protect your rights:

  • Document the incident. Take pictures of your injuries and the site where the accident occurred. Include anything that shows how the accident happened. If anyone witnessed the accident, write down what the person saw happen, and get the witness’ name and contact information. Request a copy of any official reports that are filed regarding the accident.
  • Notify your employer. As soon as possible, tell your employer about your injuries. If you wait too long, you might not be able to get the workers’ compensation benefits you deserve. Under Pennsylvania law, employees must notify their employer of any workplace injury within 21 days of the date they were injured.

When you speak with your employer, note that they are required to tell you about your rights under workers’ comp. Your employer will also give you the names of company doctors. If you want to stay eligible for workers’ compensation, you typically have to see a company doctor for at least 90 days after a workplace injury.

  • Get your injuries evaluated. If you didn’t see a physician at the time of the accident, visit a medical professional as soon as you are able. You will need to include a medical report when you file for workers’ compensation. The medical report will document what kind of injury you have and how it was work-related. Additionally, the doctor will be able to treat your injuries and help you heal as quickly as possible.
  • Talk to a workers’ comp lawyer. If your injuries are minor, you might be able to get the compensation on your own. However, it’s critical to work with an attorney if you had any other injuries or medical conditions before the workplace accident, or if your injuries are serious.

A skilled workers’ comp lawyer knows how to fight strategies that the insurance company uses to deny your claim or reduce the amount you receive. Your attorney can help gather evidence and negotiate on your behalf. The attorney’s goal is to help you get the maximum compensation that you deserve.

Common Injuries Among Union Workers

Common injuries that union workers get in jobsite accidents include:

Our Firm Fights for Union Workers

Union workers have a right to a safe workplace. They deserve fair compensation when they’re injured on the job. At Calhoon and Kaminsky P.C., we have decades of experience fighting for injured workers. We have in-depth knowledge about union workers’ unique rights. We use this knowledge and our highly rated skills in handling Pennsylvania’s workers’ comp cases.

We stand up and fight for these and other union workers:

How Our Union Workers’ Compensation Attorney Can Help You

If you’re suffering from a work-related injury, don’t wait to get the compensation you deserve. Contact Calhoon and Kaminsky P.C., today. Let our experienced workers’ comp lawyers fight for you. Call us today or contact us online to set up your free consultation.