What the Social Security Application Requires

The application requires you to provide personal information regarding your address, age, marital status, and children, and requests various documents and background information about your work history and your medical condition. You will be asked to provide a list of the employers you have worked for over the past 15 years. You must also provide a list of all doctors, hospitals, clinics, physical therapists, or chiropractors you have treated with for your injury or condition. You will have to provide the addresses and telephone numbers of these medical care providers, along with a list of any and all medications you have been prescribed or are taking. In addition, you may provide copies of medical records and/or reports you may have in your possession. Social Security will ask for your authorization so that they can obtain copies of your medical records, and you may be required to submit to a physical or mental consultative examination at their request.  This exam will be paid for by Social Security, and if you do not go to a scheduled exam, your claim may be denied.

The application will also request the date of onset for your disability, or the date that your condition or injury rendered you incapable of working. This date is important because if you are successful in your claim, benefits will be paid based on the date of onset.

After your application has been received, the Social Security Administration will begin processing your claim. They will let you know when you can expect to hear from them with a decision. This is usually between 3 and 4 months, and will depend on the current caseload at the time your claim is filed and whether additional information is needed to review your claim. Because the initial review process can take several months, applying as soon as you know you will be out of work for over a year due to your medical condition is best. Begin the application process as soon as possible.

If you have applied for Social Security and have been denied, have questions, or need help with an Appeal, contact the Pennsylvania social security attorneys at Calhoon and Kaminsky P.C., for a free consultation.